15 Jan 2014

The weather forecast had said that there would be snow today, so I left the house with my folding umbrella. The sky was covered with heavy clouds, having the wave-like surface. I rather like such awful winter sky. It would be more preferable if there was a little bit of snow, but it ended up nothing. Tomorrow will be the clearest, typical blue sky in Tokyo.

I went to the memorial concert celebrating Toshi Ichiyanagi's 80th birth year tonight. He has been one of the greatest classical music composers in Japan. Today's program was consisted of his relatively small eleven works, which covered a wide range of his past activities. Each was performed by the best player, and that made the whole program very exciting.

It's often said the classical music is dull and boring. I partly agree with that. The works written over hundreds of years ago are inevitably sounded colorless. A lack of inspiration makes us sleepy. But, if you ask me, the contemporary classical music like Ichiyanagi's is the most entertaining kind of music today, especially when you listen to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment