29 Mar 2014

On the way home today, I popped in a musical instruments store near my office and bought two scores. One of which was a violin score for my kid, which I originally intended to buy it. Another was the etudes of Hanon for my own.

It's almost ten years ago when I stopped playing a piano. Before then I had attended a piano class every week for almost 20 years. I had definitely loved to play it, but at the same time, to be honest, I hated the class. The teacher had never taught me how to practice but just ordered me to prepare to play a boring etude till the next lesson. I have no idea why I could have continued to attend her infuriating lesson. Then, when I told her that I was going to quit the class within the next four months, I finally confessed that I couldn't tolerate the etudes she had made me play. I also insisted that I had wanted to learn how to exercise, instead of a mere vague sensuous instruction for beginners' etudes. Around that time I happened to know about the Hanon independently of her, and started practicing it by myself. I found it very helpful for the finger. But first and foremost, I knew, for the first time in those wasted twenty years, that what "an exercise of piano" actually was.

Since then I have had less opportunity to play a piano, but in my mind, a hunger for playing some instruments is getting stirred while my kid learns to play his violin. It's because of that I couldn't help myself and bought the etudes of Hanon together with my son's score.

No comments:

Post a Comment